JohnElliott

Looking For Buffalo area instructor for Class A training for about $1,000 (everything included)

I am looking for an instructor near the Buffalo NY area who will fully train me for a class A license for about $1,000 (everything included). I know there are a few clubs that will do this, but they are to far to drive to.

Please e-mail me at: [email protected] if you know of a club or instructor within 1.5 hours of Buffalo NY that will train me for class A for about $!,000.

Thanks, John:)

have you made a trip to www.frontierskydivers.com? if you were to pass every level of AFF and not have to rent gear past your check dive i think you'd still be a bit short at $1000 just about every dz i've been to... but you'd be close. i was just shy of $2k by the time i got my A liscence and i did a bunch of solos as well as rented gear after AFF.

matt

You might be able to find that ... if you can turn the clock back 30 years.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That is a ridiculous goal. $1000? Stop being a cheapskate.

To do 25 solo jumps at most DZ's in the US as a licenced skydiver with your own gear is going to cost you between $400 and $500. Now add slots for instructors....you're really reaching dude.

Try getting off to a better start in the sport.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The least expensive training I know of is at Lodi, CA.

$750 should get one through $25 jumps via the staticline method, except for the problem of gear rental or purchase.

Their AFF is $1000 and 15 more jumps should be about $225 or so, again not including gear and coach jumps.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I also want a parachute with solid gold toggles, every piece of hardware made of titanium, and a special reserve deployment system that uses medical grade xenon gas to launch the pilot chute, which shall be made mostly of cashmere. The back pad will be made from a spaced age gel that hasn't been invented yet, but it knows my name and greets me when I put it on.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

I got my license for about $700 and that was with gear rental. My roommate got his for about $800 and that was with gear rental, all my students I train get their A's for around $800 and yet again, including gear rental.

It's not impossible, just depends where you jump. We charge a one time fee of $25 per semester for gear rental.

The break down is pretty much like this:

FJC: $150 (includes first jump, gear rental and club dues)
SL (2): $27 each
PRCP (3): $27 each
First FF: $5
10sec (2): $22 each
15 sec (2): $22 each
30 second (2-4): $28 each
45 second (5-7): $32 Each
USPA membership: $50ish
A license check dive: $32
5 solo or coached dives: $16

Our progression done right comes out to just over $800.00. It's possible, just have to know where to go and not want AFF. Our DZ in unique, our jumps are at cost, the student pays their slot, the instructor slot and a packer if needed, that's IT.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Chris, a bit of perspective here: KSUPC may very well be the least expensive DZ for students in this quadrant of the galaxy. Now that's great; but it's not representative of the norm.

It's true that KSUPC is not the norm, too bad that it's not!

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Yeah sorry guys, wasn't saying that we were close to NY or could even help out, just responding to the comments about people saying he should stop trying to be so cheap and that there are actually dz's that you can get it for under 1000. Granted SL is slower than AFF, takes more time and dedication and generally a couple months to complete, just another option people have.

It works great for us because we're a college town, it'd never fly in the larger areas, look at the hype the new DZ in KC is causing lol

Just giving an example, I'm sorry I didn't mean to cause an issue
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

If you want to do it as cheaply as possible, why don't you click "Dropzones" above, call all the ones you find whith acceptable driving distance for you, ask for their prices for whatever training method you choose, and decide based on that. Seems simple right?
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

You didn't cause an issue at all, it was a perfectly valid post.

....And I didn't mean to imply that anyone had caused an issue, and heads-up on reminding people that AFF is not the only way to learn skydiving ;)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Thank You the man from Kansas. I do believe most skydivers have more money than brains as our man from Kansas has proved. I also know of 2 other clubs with a similar price to Kansas around Buffalo NY (1.5 - 8 hour drive).
Please guys lets get real.
I have done my homework on the sport, jumped different places, I am a pilot, and know the equipment mark up is more than 10x, have degrees in business and finance, have real life experience.
Please understand "non-profit" status is ONLY used to AVOID TAXATION. This term is NOT a true reflection upon the economic activity of an organization. PLEASE do NOT make comments about something you know NOTHING of...!
There is alot of PROFIT in sport activities, it ia a multi billion dollar industry.
Thanks again to Kansas Skydiver for EDUCATING us all. There are similar places in the North East as well.

I do believe most skydivers have more money than brains as our man from Kansas has proved.

Please look at all the replies in the other thread you started trashing Frontire Skydivers (not to be confused with the separate thread you started trashing the Erie dropzone). Have you listened to a single word any of us have said?

No, I don't think so.

Wow, I cannot believe the level of hostility and stupidity from some members here. I am currently studying medicine I can say from observing some of the replies to my post that some skydivers take mind altering drugs, or there minds are just a little damaged. SOme of you guys are dangerous.

OK Mr. business and finance guy,

Please explain how you can Run a Business with all the following overhead..

Plane (Leased or Bought Typically in the Range of $500,00 to $1,000,000.00 (or even $50,000 to $100,00 for Cessna DZ)
Aircraft insurance
Aircraft Maintenance
Fuel Costs
Hangar Space
Utilities
Staff such as Manifest
Advertising costs
Student Gear Costs
Gear Maintenance Costs (reserve repacks, Lost canopies and handles from Student cut aways, Cypress Maintenance and Batteries)
And atleast a 100 other costs that I haven’t even thought of..

And dont forget... You only get to be open for business part of the year (Too cold in Buffalo I would guess during the heavy winter months) and then even get weathered out another 1/4 of the available days left... (You still have to make the Plane Payments, Hangar Payments, Insurance Payments, Advertising costs and many other things even if you are not Flying)

It is amazing that Skydiving is as affordable as it is. Sounds like you want something for Nothing. This is not a Cheap Sport. If you can find somewhere that will get you an A License for $1000.. More power to you. But understand that no one is getting rich off charging you $150 to $250 for your first 7 Jumps.

If you want to make a Small fortune by Opening a DZ…. Start with a Large One.